Was born in Ireland, and came to the United States with his parents when an infant, settling in Washington County, New York. During his boyhood he lived at East Troy, West Troy and at Port Jackson, New York.  His father being a stonecutter, young Fallon learned the trade, work­ing at the same at Amsterdam, on the Erie Canal.  He subsequently moved to New York City, and with his father was employed cutting stone for a seawall around the Government works, at Governor’s Island. In the Fall of 1840, he went to sea on a whaling voyage, and afterwards sailed on a merchantman, which occupations he followed until he came to this State on the ship “Ohio,” Captain Hale, Mr. Fallon being one of the mates.  He settled at the Mission Dolores, San Francisco, and was employed by Elliott More.  During the Summer of 1851, he, in company with others, went to San Mateo County, cutting wild oat hay for the market.  Mr. Fallon returned to the Mis­sion, and, in company with Terrence Riley, followed gar­dening. Here he was elected Constable, and afterwards was appointed on the police force of San Francisco. He married Ellen Gregg on Jan. 14, 1854, and in 1856 came to this county, settling in Columbia, and engaging in mining a while. He purchased the “Maine House,” on the ground where his present hotel stands, keeping the same until it was burned, Aug 24, 1857. He rebuilt the hotel, and again, on Aug. 27, 1859, the building was de­stroyed by fire. He at once erected a brick fire-proof building, which now bears the name of the “Fallon House,” the subject of our sketch being still its proprietor.  James G. is his only son.

“A History of Tuolumne County, California” Published by B.F. Alley, 1882. Pg. 328-329. 

Submitted by: Nancy Pratt Melton