forts.htm

Bermuda Forts and Fortifications


Existing Bermuda Forts c1700

Fortifications in 1798:

On May 5 1798, Judge John Green (son-in-law of late Thomas Smith, the late Collector of Customs), a member of the Joint Committee of the House of Assembly and the Council, reported to the Legislative Council on the state of defenses to the west of St George's. The report gives the location of various fortifications.

1. The fort on the high Hill of Ireland, commander John V Seymour, was described as square and sunk in rock, with 9 twelve pound cannon and new carriages. It was positioned to defend the passage into the Great Sound.

Mangrove Bay Fort, commanded by Capt T Jones, was an oval fort sunk in rock, with a breastwork in barbet, and a store for powder.

Daniel's Island Fort, commanded by Capt. John Gilbert Jr, was not in good condition.

"Rack" (Wreck?) Hill Fort needed work on the platforms, additional guns and magazines.

Capt. J Burrows Jr commanded 2 forts. The West Side Fort and another with tendency for cannon to recoil off the platform.

Whale Fort, commanded by Capt. Wm Newbold was in good condition.

The fort on the west side of Church Bay was commanded by Capt F Dickinson and praised by Judge Green.

Inghams Fort, at the west end of Commonland Bay, was in good condition.

Jobsons' Forts, on the hill and in a cove were commanded by Capt. Tucker.

Watch House Fort commanded by Capt Darrell, was in excellent condition.

Pagets Fort commanded by Capt I Lightbourn was lacking in breastwork and platform.

Pagets Eastermost Fort, Capt Wm Lightbourn, was lacking.

Hungery Bay Fort, under Capt Francis Trimingham needed magazine and extra breastwork.

Watch House Fort, under Capt. George Harvey, in Devonshire, was in good condition.

Albuoy's Fort, eastward, needed more guns.

Another battery was needed at "Hinson's Land" to protect intervening bays.

They suggested that a fort be erected at "Cobbler's Island Point" to protect the Great Sound.

Sears Fort was built by William Sears on his won land in 1794 and vested in the Crown in 1802.

(reference: Bermuda Historical Quarterly, vol 10, no 3, 1953, pp83-4)

 

 

King's Castle, Castle Island