1910 St Allen Trade Directory
St Allen Churchyard
Photograph by Steve Beazley, © Copyright 2002 - 2007
ST. ALLEN, with the township of Zelah, is a parish on the river St. Allen, the church town being 3 miles from Shepherds station on the Chacewater and Newquay branch of the Great Western railway, 5¾ miles north from Truro and 1½ east from the high road from Truro to Zelah, in the Truro division of the county, hundred of Powder, petty sessional division of Powder West, Truro union and county court district, rural deanery of Powder, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro.
The church of St.Allen is an ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower of earlier date, with beacon turret and containing 3 bells: there is a monument to John Marten, jun. of Trefonick, ob. 1626; in the aisle is a memorial window to the Lanyon family; another to Edward Coke esq. 1657, and various modern monuments; the north door, now built up, is probably the oldest feature in the church and is believed to date from the early part of the 13th century; the church was restored in 1873 - 4 at a cost of £550, and affords 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a rectory, endowed in 1314, net yearly value £136, including 118 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Richd. Eustace Stukely Buck. The lay impropriator, Viscount Falmouth K.C.V.O., C.B. receives £271.5s. tithe rent charge.
The feast of St. Allen is held on Rogation Sunday (the 5th after Easter). The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the chief landowners are George Horace Johnstone esq. J.P. of Trewithen, Charles Glynn Prideaux-Brune esq. of Padstow, Maj.-Gen. Viscount Falmouth and Digby Collins esq. of Newton Ferrers.
The soil is loamy; the subsoil is of a slaty nature. The crops are chiefly wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 3,506 acres; rateable value, £2,814; the population of this parish in 1901 was 453.
The township of ZELAH is 1¾ miles north-north-west from St. Allen, and is situated on the main road to Truro; it consists of a straggling village extending from Two Burrow Hill to Mount Pleasant, a distance of 1½ miles. George Horace Johnston esq. J.P, of Trewithen, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are Wesleyan and United Methodist chapels. The Mission church and Sunday school at Zelah was erected in 1883, at which weekday and Sunday services are held.
Assistant Overseer and Clerk to Parish Council and Assessor and Collector of Income Tax, William Carveth. Parish Clerk and Sexton,William John Harris Carveth.
Post Office, Zelah.—Josiah Lanyon, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Callestick, Cornwall, arrive at 9.30 a.m. & dispatched 3.40 p.m.; no Sunday delivery. Newlyn East, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Letters arrive at St. Allen Church Town at 9.35 a.m. through Truro. Newlyn is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Council School (mixed & infants), built in 1877-8, at a cost of £550, for 110 children; average attendance, 73; Joseph Percy Blamey, master
Omnibus to Truro, J. Grey & Bennetto pass through from Newlyn East, on Wed. & Sat. returning from Truro at 5 p.mST ALLEN Buck Rev Richard Eustace Stukely, Rectory COMMERCIAL Bassett Charles, farmer, Cralso Benny James, farmer, Mt. Pleasant Bond James, farmer, Little Water Carveth Arthur, farmer, Boswellick Carveth William, farmer, Nancarrow Carveth Wm. John Harris, farmer & parish clerk & sexton, Tretherres Coom James, farmer, Dover row Coryn Arthur Hesketh, farmer, Bowling Green Dyer Chas, miller, (water) Gwarnick mill Dyer Thomas John, miller (water), Lanner mill Gill Richard Phillips, farmer, Trerice Gluyas John, farmer Hoskins Frederick, farmer, Hands Jewell Jn. farmr.& butcher.Sixty acres Jose Henry, farmer, Chynoweth Lampshire William, farmer, Polglaze Lanyon Mary Ellen (Mrs.), farmer, Trevalso Lanyon Obed, farmer & agricultural machine owner, Polstain, Henver & Trefoenick (sic) Mewton Alfred, farmer, Nanteak (sic) Northey George Alfred, farmer, sec to Cornwall County Farmers’ Union
& Truro District Mutual Fire Insurance Co, Gwarnick Richards William, farmer, Lanner & Trenerry Richards Wm. B. farmer, Killivose Sampson Rd. (Mrs.), frmr. Tolgrogan Thomas Wm. farmer, North Downs Trevail John Henry, farmer, Lemain ZELAH COMMERCIAL Barrett John, farmer, Nathaniels Dawe William, wheelwright Hoskins Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper Hoskins William, wheelwright Lanyon Louisa & Isabella (Misses), grocers Lanyon Josiah, grocer, Post office Lawry Wm. Hy. Hawkin's Arms P.H Letcher John, blacksmith Rawling Cotton, boot & shoe maker Reed Jabez, blacksmith Sampson Ozias (Mrs.), farmer Trembath Richard, farmer, Lower Nathaniels Waters John, boot maker