Presbyterian Church

CQ Family History Association Inc.


Before a minister arrived in Rockhampton a group of Presbyterians met regularly for simple worship, among them William John Brown, who came to Australia from Ireland under agreement with the New South Wales Government as Inspector of Police. In 1858 he was sent to Rockhampton as Sub-Collector of Customs. He had been a member of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland.

Services were conducted in a merchant's bulk store, a shed in a timber yard and at the Court House, the Prayer Book of the Church of England being used in the services. Later a building was erected on land granted to the Church of England.

Early in May, 1861, Rev. Samuel Kelly, formerly of the Presbyterian Church of Ireland, arrived in Rockhampton and on May 28 a public meeting, under the presidency of John Jardine, Police Magistrate, resolved to take steps to establish a church. In September a grant of an acre of land was received from the Government and a small church was built.

Mr. Kelly demitted the charge in 1864 and Rev. Alex Campbell Smith was inducted as the settled minister. During his ministry the church was enlarged and a manse erected. Mr. Smith was succeeded after four years by Rev. James Carson.

In 1876 a call was accepted by Rev. Alexander Hay and he was minister of the charge for 37 years. He resigned on account of advancing age. He was followed by Revs. James Walker (1913-19), Hubert Robertson (1920-22), J. A. Hunter (1 924-1933), R. H. Noack (1 934-42) and J. W. Stewart Lang (1 943-49). Rev. W. R. Glasgow Denning was inducted to the charge in 1950.

The memorial stone of St. Andrew's Church was laid on Oct 2,1890, the ceremony being performed by Mrs. Peter McIntosh, daughter of W. J. Brown, the chief founder of Presbyterianism in Rockhampton.

The old manse served as a Sunday school for some years. On July 18, 1937, a new hall was erected on the site of the old manse.

In 1888 a second Presbyterian congregation was formed by the John Knox Lodge being erected, the present church being acquired in that year. In 1944 a union was made with John Knox and St. Peter's churches (St. Peter's was a daughter of St. Andrew's and was built on a site given by Mr P. F. Macdonald).

The Church extended its services to North Rockhampton in 1 91 0 with the appointment of a home missionary. It was raised to a sanctioned charge in 1946.

In 1945 Mrs D. Morrison donated a church building and cottage and 11 acres of land at Glenmore to the Church. In 1952 St. Andrew's acquired Hillcrest Hospital, which was controlled by a board appointed by the Church.

CQFHA Inc © 2007 HomeAbout UsPublicationsArticles & IndexesResearchContactLinks

Graphic Design by Round the Bend Wizards

footer image footer image