Massillon State Hospital (Historic Asylums)

Historic Asylums

Massillon State Hospital for the Insane

now known as Massillon Psychiatric Center.
3000 Erie St. SW, PO Box 540
Massillon, OH 44648
(330) 833-3135

Massillon, Ohio

Massillon state Hospital for the Insane Opened in 1898. In 1950, it had 3,000 residents. As of early 2000, there were less than 300 residents. The first building to be constructed was a water tower to put out fires on the hospital grounds. A trolly ran from the city of Massillon to the Massillon State Hospital.

The land the hospital is located on was originally cornfields used by Native Americans. Settler James Duncan arrived here in 1816 and grazed sheep on the land. Duncan's original cottage was used as a dwelling until 1956. At the suggestion of Ohio governor William McKinley (later the president), 240 acres of this land was given to the State for the purposes of founding the hospital.

Massillon State Hospital was started at the time when "cottage" design of mental hospitals dominated, as opposed to the previous era's immense main buildings designed on the "Kirkbride" plan.

Massillon is located in the northeastern portion of Ohio in Stark County, on the Tuscarawas River, 50 miles south of Cleveland.

The three images which accompany this text were provided by Dihann Walters, who also provided some of the information in the text as well.

Postcard Images of Massillon State Hospital

Visit RootsWeb