Goodspeed Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas, Montgomery Co.: M to Y

The Goodspeed Biographical & Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas

Published by Southern Publishing Company 1891.
Biographical sketches of citizens of Montgomery County, Arkansas
No finer timber for cabinet work can be found in the State or elsewhere.

John W. MARTIN The life of him whose name appears above has been one of more than usual interest and his career has been of such benefit and influence to the people, not only of Montgomery County but throughout the State, that a sketch of his life will be of more than passing interest.  He was born in this county on April 28, 1850, to Thomas L. and Rachel (Cooper) Martin, who are supposed to have been born in Wayne County, Tenn., the father's death occurring in this county in 1876, when about fifty years of age.  His widow still survives him and is a resident of this county.  They were married in Tennessee, and in the winter of 1849 came to Arkansas, locating on a farm in the winter of 1849 came to Arkansas, locating on a farm in what is now Mountain Township.  As a tiller of the soil he was very successful, and as a merchant he was one of the first in the county.  He served in the the Fourth Arkansas Cavalry, Untied States Army, during the Rebellion and was on active service for the greater part of three years.   He was taken prisoner at his mill on Blakeley Creek, and was kept in captivity at Camden, for about one month, during which time he suffered untold hardships.  Soon after the war he was elected county sheriff, a position he held three years, and justice of the peace quite a number of years, and at his death was buried with Masonic honors.  His wife, who is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, bore him ten children, the subject of this sketch being the third of the family.  He spent his school days at Cedar Glades, but the war interrupted his studied in a great measure, and after the war in 1871, he turned his attention to farming, a calling he followed exclusively until 1882, when he opened up a mill on  a small scale.  John W. Freeman was a joint owner with him in this mill, which was a small-mill, but at the end of three years Mr. Martin became sole proprietor and is now owner of a good grist-mill and cotton gin.  His plant is now one of the best in the county and his farm, which comprises 213 acres, is valuable land.  He is now building a handsome residence, and everything about his place shows that a man of thrift and energy and intelligence is at the helm.  In 1878 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and served by re-election three terms of two years each.  He was married in 1871 to Miss Nancy Thornton, who died in 1878, leaving him with three children to care for, two of whom are living.  Boss W. and Martha L.  James died when about seven years of age.  In 1879 Miss Sarah J. Brown, daughter of William Brown, of this county, became Mr. Martin's second wife, their union resulting in the birth of two children; Laura Elizabeth and Dora Alice.  Mr. Martin is a member of Henderson Lodge No.147, of the A. F. & A. M. and politically is a Republican.  He at all times supports laudable enterprises, and is one of the leading men of the county. He believes in a fair election and a fair count  whether the candidate is a Republican or Democrat, and although not a member of any church he is a liberal contributor to all worthy enterprises.  His motto at all times is "Honesty is the best policy," and he lives up to this in the fullest sense of the term. page 485-486

George R. MILLER is the capable assessor of Montgomery County, Ark., but by calling is a tiller of the soil, being the owner of 220 acres of valuable land. He was born in Monroe County, East Tenn., in 1834, the fourth of nine children born to the union of John Miller and Nancy Wilson, their marriage taking place in Monroe County, Tenn., their births having occurred in South Carolina and Tennessee in 1803 and 1805 respectively. When the subject of this sketch was two years of age they went to Georgia, and there made their home until 1859, when they moved to Polk County, Ark., where Mrs. Miller passed from life in 1866, and Mr. Miller in 1878, both having been Methodists for some years, though formerly Presbyterians. Mr. Miller was a substantial farmer and served as county and probate judge in Dade County, Ga., for some years while residing there. His father James Miller, died in South Carolina, an Irishman by descent. The mother's father, Joseph Wilson, died in Mason, Ga., a trader and farmer. George R. Miller was given the education and rearing that is usually given the farmer's boy, and in 1853 was married to Martha J., daughter of William and Margaret Davis, who were born in North Carolina in 1787 and 1803, respectively, their marriage taking place in Jackson County, Ala. From there they moved to Dade County, Ga., in 1840, where Mr. Davis died in 1852, a farmer by occupation, his widow passing from life in Polk County, Ark., in 1872. Mrs. Miller first saw the light of day in Tennessee in 1840, and by Mr. Miller became the mother of nine children, two sons and three daughters now living. In 1859 Mr. Miller removed to Texas, where he spent seven more years.  At the end of this time he returned to Polk County., Ark and the following year came to Montgomery County. He followed merchandising in Dallas for some years, and for some years operated a steam mill in Polk County. In 1861 he joined Company H. Fourth Arkansas Infantry, and for about two years operated in Arkansas, afterwards joining the Seventeenth Tennessee, with which he served for about one year, taking part in the engagement at Hoover's Gap. In 1872 he was elected sheriff of Polk County, Ark., having previously served as deputy six years, and made one of the most zealous and faithful officers the county ever had. He was justice of the peace in Texas, and in 1890 was elected assessor of Montgomery County, Ark, a position he is still filling. He is a member of the Cherry Hill Lodge No. 228 of the A.F/ & A.M., and for a long time was a junior deacon of Dallas Lodge. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church from boyhood, and is a staunch Democrat in his political views.  page 486 - 487

John S. NELSON, county and circuit clerk of Montgomery County, Ark., was born in this county March 15, 1858, to Archibald and Nancy (Strawn) Nelson, the former born in Tennessee and the latter in Mississippi.  They came to Arkansas in 1852 and 1844 respectively, their marriage taking place in this State.  The father first settled at Caddo Gap, but for some time past has been a resident of Arkadelphia.  Although he is a farmer and machinist by occupation, considerable of his time and attention have been given to operating a mill.  Since 1868 he has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church and has been a minister of the same since 1873, his wife being a member of this church also.  She is a daughter of Fielding Strawn, who built the Caddo Gap mill, which is known throughout the State.  He was one of the county's first and most prominent judges, and was a man possessing more than the ordinary executive ability.  To Mr. and Mrs. Nelson ten children were born, of whom John S. was the second child.  His education was acquired in this county and Judson Academy in White County, and also in the University at Fayetteville during 1870-80.  On account of ill health he did not graduate, but while in that institution he made the most of his opportunities and was considered one of the most faithful students in the university.  He began teaching school at the age of nineteen years and in this way paid his tuition.  In 1882 he began farming in this county and is now the owner of an excellent farm from which he derives a paying yearly income.  This place is one of the neatest and best kept in the county, the buildings, fences, etc., being in excellent condition.  From 1882 to 1886 he served in the capacity of justice of the peace, and in 1890 he was elected to his present position as clerk of the circuit and county courts and entered upon his duties October 30.  In 1882 he was married to Miss Alice Johnson, of this county, and three children have  blessed their union: William F., Jesse L. and Ida May.  Mr. and Mrs. Nelson belong to the Missionary Baptist Church.   Mr. Nelson in his race for clerk had three opponents for the nomination on the Democratic ticket, but received the nomination by a majority.  He has always been very through in everything he has undertaken, and gives every promise of making an ideal public officer. page 487

Goyle NOBLES  is a well-known citizen residing in the South Fork Township, Montgomery County, Ark., and was born in Wetumpka, Ala., on the Coosa River, February 2, 1832, a son of Richard and Allie (Post) Nobles, natives if North Carolina and Georgia, respectively, the death of death of the former occurring in Union Parish, La., in 1872, and that of the latter in January, 1862, at the ages of seventy and sixty years. Richard Nobles was a boy when he moved to Georgia, nut he was married in Alabama, and made that State his home until 1857, being a tiller of the soil. He was a soldier with Jackson in the war with the Indians, and was wounded in battle. Both he and his wife were members of the Primitive Baptist Church for many years, in which he was a deacon, and politically he was a life-long Democrat, as have always been the male members of his family. His father, Tennyson Nobles, was a native of Scotland, who married an Irish wife. To Richard Nobles and his wife eight children were born, Goyle being their fifth child, he being the only one of the family that is now living as far as know. He lived with and took care of his father and mother until their deaths, his occupation being that of a farmer. He has a farm of 212 acres on the south fork of the Ouachita River, and all can be readily put under cultivation. His house and barn are seventy-nine feet above the creek, and are pleasantly located. He has been a resident of this farm since 1869, coming thither from Louisiana, and claims that his land is among the best, if not the best, in the county. He raises an abundance of fruit, and excellent buildings which are on on his place he has, himself, caused to be erected. In the spring of 1862 he joined the Thirty-first Louisiana Infantry, Company H., under Col. Morrison, and served until the was terminated. He was at Chickasaw Bayou, Fort Gibson, and the siege of Vicksburg, where he was captured, afterward paroled, but was never exchanged. Upon his return home he found all his property had been laid waste, a security debt of $600 hung over him and he had a wife and three children dependant on him for a livelihood. Although the outlook for the future was dark, he set energetically to work to provide for his family and pay off his indebtedness and this, in time, he succeeded in doing. His marriage which occurred on December 11, 1856, was to Miss Alzada Gray, a daughter of Jesse Gray, her birth occurring in Alabama, near the birthplace of her husband, December 24, 1831, their union resulting in the birth of four children: Mary F. (wife of William Garrett, a farmer of this county), Ella, James Richard and Norma. Two children are dead: Mary Ann (who died at the age of thirty-one years, the wife of S.M. Smith, the present treasurer of Montgomery County), and Tennyson (who died when twenty-one years old). Mr. Nobles is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, and socially he is a member of Henderson Lodge No. 147 of the A.F. & A.M. He is a Democrat.  page 488

William REEVES  The entire life of this gentlemen has been one unmarked by any unusual occurrence outside of the chosen channels to which he has so diligently applied himself, and although he was born in Smith County, Tenn., in 1839, he has been a resident of Montgomery County, Ark., since 1859, and has identified himself with every interest of his adopted county and State.   His parents, Dr. William and Ruth (Campbell) Reeves, were born in North Carolina, but afterwards became residents of Smith County, Tenn., the father dying when William was a small boy, and his mother when he was nine years old.  He was the youngest of two sons and one daughter born to them: John (deceased), and Mary J. (wife of Thomas Green), being the other two members of the family.  William was reared by an uncle, Moses Reeves, of Smith County, until he was ten years of age, when he began doing for himself, working on a wood boat on the Cumberland River for several years, afterwards turning his attention to farming.  He was married in 1850, to Miss Emily Jones, and the same year came to Montgomery County, and lived on the south fork of the Caddo River, where he has a fine farm of 368 acres.  For about seven years he was engaged in merchandising at Black Springs, but has since devoted his attention to farming, a calling for which he is naturally adapted.  In February, 1863, he became a member of Company A, First Arkansas Infantry, and operated in Missouri, Indian Territory and Arkansas.  He organized Company I, of the second Kansas troops, but afterwards took part in the engagement at Jenkins' Ferry, besides several others.  In 1868 he received the appointment of sheriff of Montgomery County, a position he has satisfied for four years.   He is a demitted member of Crystal Ridge Lodge, of the A.F. & A.M., and for some time has been an earnest member of the Christian Church. page 488

William Owens ROBINS belongs to the sturdy, honest and independent class, the farmers of Arkansas, and is now engaged in cultivating an estate comprising 664 acres, on which he has resided since 1882, 75 acres of which he has cleared by his own efforts, this land being well adapted to the purpose of general farming.  He was born in Murray County, Ga., in 1832, being the second of ten children -seven sons and three daughters- born to the marriage of Thomas J. Robins and Mary Bates, the former born in Franklin County, Ga., in 1808, and the latter in South Carolina, in 1811, their marriage being celebrated in Hall County, Ga., and in 1849 came to this county and State, settling on a farm in Caddo Gap, on which both parents died, the former in 1874, and the latter in 1864, they have been consistent members in the Missionary Baptist Church for many years.  William Robins, the parental grandfather, was born in South Carolina, and died in Murray County, Ga., in 1847 his widow dying in Hempstead County, Ark., to which she had moved in 1857.  Mr. Robbins was of Scotch descent, and was an extensive slave and stock trader.  Julius Bates, the maternal grandfather of William O. Robbins, was also a  South Carolinian, but afterwards became a resident of Murray County, Ga. where he farmed until his demise, in 1862, he also being a Scotchman.  Although William O. Robins received a very meager education in his youth, he was naturally intelligent, and has, at all times, made the most of his opportunities.  He was married in this county in 1854 , to Emily, daughter of John and Mary McDonald, who were born, reared and married in South Carolina, moving soon afterward to Glimer County, Ga. and in 1852 to this county, where the father died in 1857, and the mother in 1859.  Mrs. Robins was born in South Carolina, and has borne her husband five children, three living.  Mr. Robins at first lived on his father's farm, then spent twenty-five years on the south fork of the Ouachita River, and since 1882 on his present farm. He has since followed farming, saw and grist-milling and cotton ginning.   He is a member of the New Hope Lodge No. 42, of the A.F. & A.M., at Caddo Gap, and has always been public spirited and enterprising.  In 1862 he joined Company B, Gunistead's [Grimstead] regiment, but was afterward with Monroe's regiment, operating in the Cherokee Nation and in Arkansas. pages 488-489

B.M. ROWTON is a member of the general mercantile firm of B.M. Rowton & Bro., of Black Springs, Ark., who established their business in December, 1887, their annual sales amounting to $10,000 since that time.   Mr. Rowton was born in this county in 1853, and has spent his life here, identifying himself with every interest of this section, and proving himself a man of sound and progressive views on all subjects.  His parents, William D. and Eliza (McClure) Rowton, were born in Virginia in 1796, and South Carolina in 1808 respectively, their marriage consummated in Murfreesboro, Tenn.  From this State they came to Montgomery County, Ark., in 1843, improving a good farm near where Black Springs is now situated.   Here Mr. Rowton died in 1859 and his widow in 1873, she being a member of the Methodist Church.  Mr. Rowton's father was a soldier in the Creek Indian War, and was a son of William Rowton, who was all probability born in Virginia of Irish parents, his death occurring in Tennessee.  Although B.M. Rowton received but little schooling in his youth, his days being spent at hard labor on the farm, he, on reaching manhood, was as well posted as the average man, a result which was brought about by self application. He was married in 1872 to Mary, daughter of Spencer White, an Alabamian who, at an early day, removed to what was Howard County, Ark., his wife dying here when Mrs. Rowton was an infant.  Soon after the death of his wife Mr. White went to California, and has not been heard from since.  Mrs. Rowton was raised by an uncle, Frank Moore, and has borne her husband three children.  Mr. Rowton was engaged in farming until 1880, then removed to Black Springs and following the occupation of blacksmithing until 1887, when, as above stated, he opened his present establishment.  He was postmaster of the town for two years, justice of the peace six years, has been a long member of the Methodist Church, and at all times been a worthy citizen of the region.  His brother, who is associated with him in business, W.C. Rowton, was born in Rutherford County, Tenn.., and came to this State and county with his parents, marrying Miss Jane White, a sister of his brother's wife, they also being worthy members of the Methodist Church.  Their father, William D. Rowton, was married twice and has six children by each wife, of whom B.M. Rowton is the youngest.  page 489

William D. SANDLIN, one of Montgomery county's energetic and public spirited citizens, was born in Blountiville, Bount County, Ala., May 4, 1861, to Obediah and Carrie (Ratliffe) Sandlin, both natives of Alabama, the mother dying in Garland County, Ark., when the subject of this sketch was nine years of age.  At the time of her marriage with Mr. Sandlin, she was the widow of Robert Graves.  After her death, which occurred at the age of thirty-five years, Mr. Sandlin married Mrs. Margaret Jones, and is now residing in Montgomery County, Ark.   He was in an Alabama regiment during the war, but most of  the time was on post duty at Pensacola, Fla., and Montgomery Ala. and for some time was also of the regimental quartermaster's department.  He has been a successful farmer, and is now residing at Silver City, a member of the Baptist Church, a Mason, and a Democrat in politics. The subject of this sketch was one of four children, being the third of the family, and spent his school days in Blount County, Ala., he lived with his father until twenty-four years of age.  He has begin serving in the capacity of deputy sheriff under Mr. Golden, a position which he is now filling in this county. In February, 1889, he was employed to assumed charge of the mill and gin owned by Watkins Bros., but in June of the next year he leased the mills, but receives an excellent revenue there from. He was brought up to a farm life, but in his youth worked in a blacksmith's shop and became an excellent wood workman.  He is the owner of a shop at Mount Ida but leases it, but keeps a livery and feed stable, which he is the owner, under his own care.  He also owns other valuable property, and gives every promise of becoming well to do.  On April 10, 1887, he was married to Miss Queen Salyers, daughter of M.V.B. Salyers, formerly a merchant of Mount Ida, and to them one daughter has been born, Ruey Alice.  Mr. Sandlin is a staunch Democrat in politics. page 490

Daniel Newton SCOTT. The agricultural affairs of Montgomery County, Ark., are ably represented among others by Mr. Scott, who comes of a well known family, the Scotts of Kentucky.  He was born in this county in 1854, to John and Susannah (Earp) Scott, the former born on Blue-Grass soil in 1818, and his wife a few years later, the nuptial of their marriage being celebrated in Tennessee from which State they came to Montgomery County, Ark., some forty years ago, on land on the Caddo River, of which they made a good farm.  Mr. Scott was a lieutenant in Capt. Erwin's company Fourth Infantry Arkansas troops in the Trans-Mississippi Department, and was present in the battle of Elk Horn, beside many others.  His parents died when he was a small boy, and he was thus left with but little knowledge of his ancestors. He was for many years a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and died in 1888.  His wife's father was an early settler of Polk County, Ark., and in that county he died prior to the war. Daniel Newton Scott was the eighth of eleven children born to his parents, and at the age of four was left without a mother's care and guidance. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of the neighborhood also spending one year in the University of Fayetteville.  Two of his brothers served in Erwin's company, in the Confederate Army.  William J. dying while in the service, the other brother James A. coming through unharmed. Daniel N. was first married to Frances, the daughter of Thomas and Sallie Gore, but she died in Montgomery County, Ark., in 1880., having borne three children, two now living.  Mr. Scott's second marriage took place in 1883, the maiden name of his wife being Holly Gray, daughter of Robert and Eveline Gray, who came from Georgia to Clark County, Ark., later to become residents of Montgomery County, Ark., where Mr. Gray still lives, his wife having passed from this life in Clark County, where Mrs. Scott was born. He and Mrs. Scott have two children. Since his first marriage Mr. Scott has lived on his farm of 160 acres, 65 of which are cleared by his own efforts, considerable of his attention being given to stock-raising also. Two of his brothers, James and Robert, reside in Texas.  His sister, Sarah A, is the wife of Jesse Moore, and Elizabeth is the wife of John Hickey. page 490

Samuel M. SMITH is the efficient and trustworthy treasurer of Montgomery County, Ark., a position he has filled in a very acceptable manner for the past eight years.  He has been a citizen of this county since 1852, but was born in Bedford County, Tenn., September 10, 1831, to Josiah and Nancy (Drake) Smith [an error.  His mother was Nancy Z. Roberts. Amanda Drake was Josiah Smith's 2nd wife, but they didn't have any children], the former born in South Carolina and the latter in Virginia, their union taking place in Bedford County, Tenn., whither they had gone with their parents when young.  They made their home their until 1847 at at which time they removed to Tippah County, Miss., and in in 1855 to Webster County, Mo.  The mother died there in 1861, aged about fifty-seven years. Mr. Smith then moved to Boone County, Ark., and is still residing, aged eighty-four years. He has always been a farmer, and a very successful one, since 1845 has been a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, in which he has long been a deacon. He is a Democrat in his political views. He and his wife became the parents of twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth. He attended the schools in Mississippi in his youth, and at the age of twenty-one commenced to farm in Montgomery County, his first purchase of land here being on the present site of Oden. On this place he resided until 1871, then moved to Mount Ida, and here by hard work, good management and economy, he has become the owner of a fine tract of land, comprising 300 acres, the most of which is under cultivation.  In 1882 he was elected office of the county treasurer, and has served, by re-election, up to the present time, with every evidence of satisfaction.  In July, 1861, he joined the Twenty-fourth Arkansas Infantry, and after a short service was discharged, but soon after joined Col. Newton's regiment of Cavalry, and was lieutenant of his company, serving until disbanded at Fulton, Ark. He was in the battle of Wilson's Creek, and while at home, on one occasion, was taken prisoner, but was soon released. The war left him badly crippled, financially, but as has been seen, he has, in a great measure, retrieved his losses.  He has for the last few years operated a grist, saw mill and cotton-gin on his farm, in all which has done well. In 1853 he was married to Miss Melvina Goodner, a daughter of John C. Goodner, an early settler of this county.  She died in October, 1862, the mother of five children, two now living: John G. (a farmer of the county), and Josiah M. (following the same occupation here). William C. (the third son, died recently in this county, leaving a widow and three children). In February, 1863, Mr. Smith married Miss Martha Deer [DERR], of this county, but she, too, passed from life, her death occurring in October, 1864, leaving a daughter, Mary J., who was the wife of Charles Laird, of this county.   In October, 1865, Mr. Smith took a third wife, Miss Mary Ann Fryar, of this county, she dying in October, 1883, and leaving him with seven children to care for: Thomas O., Samuel L. Susan H., Granville W., Alfred F., Margaret A., and Elizabeth (who died in childhood). Martha A. Shirley became the wife of Mr. Smith in August, 1888, she being a daughter of Goyle Nobles, and widow of Jackson Shirley.  She was born in Louisiana, and died January 4, 1889. Mr. Smith is a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, and politically, is a Democrat. page 491

Alex N. THORNTON is a miller of Black Springs, Ark., and the work he turns out is remarkably satisfactory, the patronage he has is attracted to this place for milling purposes being constantly on the increase.   He was born in Forsyth County, Ga., in 1844, to Isaac and Clara (Nuckles) Thornton, the former born in Georgia and the latter in Virginia.  Mrs. Thornton removed to Georgia with her parents when a girl, and there she married and lived until he death in 1862, a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.  Mr. Thornton afterward married a second time, and in 1867 removed to Texas, and in 1871 to Montgomery County, where he still lives, a farmer and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church also.  He served in a regiment of the Georgia Infantry during the Rebellion.  His father, Thomas Thornton, was born in the Palmetto State, and died in Georgia, he being also a worthy and successful tiller of the soil.  He was of English descent, a soldier in the War of 1812, and his father was a native of England.  Alex Nuckles was the mother's father, an Englishman by birth, who became a farmer of Whifield County, Ga., where he spent his declining years.  Alex N. Thornton was the fifth of ten children, and although he was reared on a farm, he, as soon as old enough was put to school and acquired a good common-school education.  In 1862 he joined Company C, Thirty-ninth Georgia Infantry, Army of Tennessee, and was in the siege of Vicksburg, at Missionary Ridge, the Atlanta campaign, Franklin, Nashville, Mobile and back to Johnston's Army in North Carolina, surrendering with him in that State.  He was slightly wounded twice.  He 1867 he was married in Whitfield County, Ga., to Mary E., daughter of Ellis and Permelia Slaon, the former born in Tennessee and the latter in North Carolina, their marriage being consummated in Whitfield County, GA.,  where Mrs. Thornton was born and where she and Mr. Thornton resided until 1870, when they came to Clark County, Ark., in eight years later to Montgomery County, their residents being at Black Springs.   Mr. Thornton is the owner of a good water saw, grist-mill and cotton gin, and if close application and study of the wants of his customers will serve to make a permanent success of his mill. Mr. Thornton need no fear as to the outcome of his venture.  By his own efforts he has become the owner of 320 acres of land, but the first six years of his residence where he was engaged in merchandising.  He has been justice of the peace two years and his wife worships in the Missionary Baptist Church.

Judge Silas VAUGHT is a man who has steadily and surely made his way to the front in the profession of law, and he processes in a more than ordinary degree the natural attributes essential to a successful career at the bar and in public.  He was born in Jackson County, Ala., in 1831, being a son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (McAnally) Vaught, the former born in Bledsoe, and the latter in Franklin Counties, Tenn., their union taking place in Jackson County, Ala., whither they were taken by their parents when they were young.  In 1846 they emigrated to Montgomery County, Ark., and on a woodland farm in this region they found a home and on it spent the remainder of there lives, dying in 1867 and 1878, respectively, both having been members of the Methodist Church for a great many  years.  Mr. Vaught was a successful tiller of the soil and stock-raiser, and a soldier in the Seminole War.  He belonged to the New Hope Lodge of the A.F. & A.M. at Caddo Gap, and as a man and citizen was all that could be desired, for he was industrious, enterprising, charitable and honest.  His father, John Vaught, was born in East Tennessee, but was an early emigrant to Alabama, and there died in 1841, a farmer.  His wife, Nancy Hatfield, died in 1841.  The great-grandfather of Judge Silas P. Vaught, William Vaught, was of German extraction and spent nearly all his life in what is now the District of Columbia, and served during the Revolutionary War.  Capt. James McAnally, the mother's father, was a Tennesseean, but in and early day removed to Jackson County, Ala., where he died from the effects of a wound received in the battle of Horse Shoe Bend, some ten years after the battle.  He was a captain in one of the Indian wars, and by calling, a farmer.  Judge Silas P. Vaught was the eldest of five children born to his parents, those living besides himself being C.B., of the Indian Territory, and J.T., of Crawford County, Ark.  The Judge was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools, and after removing to Montgomery County, Ark., with his parents he was married in 1857 to Lucinda, daughter of John and Esther (Tweedle) Vaught, the former of whom was born in Indiana, but in 1817 but came with his father William Tweedle, to this county, settling on the farm which the subject of this sketch is now living, seventy-three years ago.  Here he spent the rest of his life, dying in 1858.  His wife was born in Tennessee, but came with her parents to Clark County, Ark., where she passed from life in 1849.  Mrs. Vaught died in 1874, having borne eight children, seven whom are living.  Mr. Vaught was married a second time in 1879, his wife being Elizabeth J., daughter of John T. and Elizabeth Petty, who came from Alabama to Montgomery County, in 1855, but for six years have lived in Polk County.  Mrs. Vaught was born in Calhoun County, and has become the mother of two sons and one daughter.  Since his marriage Judge Vaught has lived on his present farm of 1,120 acres, about 480 acres of which he has himself cleared.  In July, 1861, he joined Company E. Second Arkansas Infantry, the first fight he participated being Wilson's Creek, then Pea Ridge, and was afterward at the evacuation of Corinth.  He was then at Richmond, Ky., Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga and Resaca.  While a member of the Trans-Mississippi Department, he fought at Pine Bluff, Mark's Mill, Jenkins' Ferry and surrendered at Marshall, Tex., in June, 1865, after almost four years of hard service.  he went out as a private, but served as first  lieutenant the most of the time. He was never captured, but was slight wounded.  In 1868 he was licensed to practice law, and has since successfully devoted his attention to that profession, being, in 1886, elected to the position of county and probate judge in which capacity he served with distinction for four years, when he declined re-election. page 492-493

Confederate Pension Records
Surname: Vaught
Given Name: Silas P.
Application Number: 23991
Widow Surname: Vaught
Widow Given Name: E.J.
Company: C
Regiment: 4
State Served From: Arkansas
Division: Infantry
Pension County: Montgomery
Death Date: 4/17/1901
Comments: widow applied 1916

"The Goodspeed Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Western Arkansas"

Montgomery County ARGenWeb Project