Page 42 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)


Breage is a parish near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, 3 miles west from Helston terminal station on a branch of the Great Western Railway, 7 east from Marazion and 8 south from Gwinear, in the Truro division of the County, hundred and petty sessional division of Kirrier (west), Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Breage is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and one bell, dated 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle are memorials respectively to Caroline Isabella Wilson 1846-54 and Elizabeth Wilson, 1780-1866; the west window of the same aisle commemorates the marriage of T.R.H. the Prince and Princess of Wales, March 10th 1863, and was erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Coode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret (Blagge), Wife of Sidney, first Earl of Godolphin K.G. was buried here, September 27th 1678; in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; the church affords 300 sittings; in the churchyard, near the south entrance, stands the head of an ancient cross: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1890- 1891, at a cost of  £4,000. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with Germoe annexed, net yearly value (Breage) £260, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Jocelyn Barnes M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. 

There is a Mission church at Ashton. There are Wesleyan chapels at S. Breage, Carleen, Ashton, Trenwheal and Keneggie; Bible Christian chapels at Churchtown, Herland Cross and Ashton and Free Methodist chapels at Ashton and Rinsey. In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet, and Tregoning Hill, 596 feet above the sea level; on the summit of the latter are the remains of an entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the Bishop.”  Breage was once a prosperous mining centre, but little or no tin mining or streaming is now carried on.  Foote’s charity, of £8 8s. yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 2s to the school; and £2 2s. for the poor, and £4 4s. to the parish of Germoe; there is also a sum of £7 16s. given by the Duke of Leeds for poor widows of this parish. The Duke of Leeds, Lord Churston, Richard Carlyon, Charles Trelawny esq. and Capt. Coode of Polapit Tamar, are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,161 acres (including 105 of water); rateable value, £9,100; the population in 1891 was 1,690.


RINSEY is a village on the sea coast, 2 miles south-west; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN, or CAERLEON, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the 16th century, and formerly the residence of the Millytons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages (temp. Hen. VIII.) still remains; ASHTON is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA,  2 west-south-west, TRESCOW, 4 north-west, TREVERVAS, 2 west-south-west, and HERLAND, 2 north-north-west; PORTHLEVEN, 2 ½ south-south-east, is a fishing village, partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.


POST OFFICE – Miss Anna Olive Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters through Helston, arrive at 10.15 a.m.; dispatched at 2.45 p.m. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

ASHTOWN SUB-OFFICE – Miss Bessie KING, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive 10.25 a.m. from Helston; dispatched 2.35 p.m. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

Wall Letter Box, Coach & Horses, Keneggie, cleared at 2.15 p.m.



A School Board of 5 members was formed April 4th 1871; John Richards SAMPSON, Sparnon, Godolphin, clerk to the board; James Goldsworthy, Polladrass, Godolphin, attendance officer.

Board, Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 66. Miss Mary Pope, mistress

 Church, at St. Breage, Church Town, supported by the Vicar of the parish; average attendance, 221; William Pidgeon, master.


CARRIERS – Thomas Henry Beckerleg, to Penzance, tues. & thurs. & Helston, sat.; Thomas Tregear & Stephen Hoar to Helston, wed & sat


(Marked thus + should be addressed Marazion R.S.O.)

Barnes Rev. Jocelyn M.A. The Parsonage

Broad Mrs. Church Town

+Curtis Mrs Keneggie

Glover Henry, Calebras

Roberts Humphrey, Church Town




Adams Paul

Shopkeeper, Carleen

+Andrewartha James Eade

Farmer, Keneggie

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmennor

Blight Thomas

Farmer, Trevena

+Body William

Farmer, Keneggie

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (Thomas Eustice)

Purser & Manager

Bryant John

Shoe mr, Church Town

Carter Francis

Farmer & registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage & Germoe, Rinsey

Clifton William Hy.

Farmer, Trevena

+Coast Guard Station (Board of Trade rocket apparatus No. 276)

James Johns, chief boatman, Prussia Cove

Cock Wm

Trelawney’s Arms P.H. Trew

Connor & Sons

Farmers, Trevervas

Eustice Edmund Truscott

Temperance hotel, Ashton

Eustice Loveday (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtn

Eustice William George

Lion & Lamb P.H., Ashton

Gilbert John Hy.

Farmer, Trevorian

Harry Constance (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtn

Hosken William

Farmer, Penbro

James Jsph Harry

Shopkpr, Ashton

James William

Farmer, Trevervas

Johns Wm. (Mrs)

Shpkpr, ChurchTwn

Joyce John Adams

Wheelwright, Church Town

King Bessie (Miss)

Shopkeeper, Post Office, Ashton

King Wm

Drapr & Gro,  Church Town

Kitto Francis & Christopher

Farmers, Pengersick

Kitto Mary (Mrs)

Farmer, Pengersick

+Kitto Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shpkeeper, Keneggie

+Marks Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis William & Son

Farmers, Tranno

Matthew James

Farmer, Trevalence

Metal & Flow Mine

George E. Collins, manager

Michell Henry

Farmer, Methleigh

Nicholas H. & Son

Builders & Carpenters, Church town

Nicholas Anna Olive (Miss)

Postmistress, Church Town

Perry David

Farmer, Crava

Phillips Brothers

Farmers, Sunny vale, Pengersick

Richards Alfred

Farmer, Pellor

Richards Jane (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Church Town

Richards John

Farmer, Rosemaber

Richards Thomas Mitchell

Farmer, Treworlas

Richards William

Farmer, Trenalls

+Richards Wm, Jun

Farmer, Keneggie

Richards Jane (Mrs)

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Rogers William

Queen’s Arms P.H., Church Town

Rowe Jacob

Farmer, Sethnoe

+Rowe John

Coach & Horses P.H., Keneggie

Rowe William

Farmer, Tregew

Sampson Alfred

Farmers, Hendra

Sampson Trevenen

Farmer, Trevervas

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremearne

Thomas Hy. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Toll John Henry

Farmer, Trevervas

Toll Simon

Farmer, Pengersick

Tredrea John

Shopkpr, Church Town

Tregear John

Farmer, Pentreath

Tregoning Hill Brick & China Clay Co.

John Martin, manager & purser

Treweeke George

Farmer & Cattle dlr, Trequean

Tripcony John

Farmer, Hendra

Toll John Henry

Farmer, Trevervas

Tyacke John

Farmer, Chynoweth

Williams Adelaide E. F. (Mrs)

Star Inn P.H., Church Town

Williams Frnk

Blacksmith, Church Tn

Williams John

Grocer, Church Town