The information for this page came from old microfilm records of unknown origin. Anyone wishing to add information concerning this church is encouraged to contact Betty Miller, your host for Pickens County, AL. Typographical and transcription errors will be happily corrected, however, no alterations will be made to the original document, additional information will be added as submitter's notes or as additional informational material.
On the 4th Sunday in May, 24, 1846 services were begun by Rev. John T. Muss (Bishop) of Bedford, Tennessee, opening with prayer by Rev. A. H. Furguson of Fairfield District, South Carolina. Brother Matthew Lyon, acting Clerk, read letters of Deacon Francis W. Bostick and his wife, Candaca M.; Mrs. Mary Caroline Sherrod; Mrs. Rebecca Rocker; Edward Lee; Matthew Lyon and wife - Savannah; Muscoggs Lyon; from the Big Creek Baptist Church near Carrollton and Mrs. L. Holly of Mississippi.
The first pastor was Rev. William R. Stannsel, father of Col. M. L. Stansel, who served to 1848, then the next pastor was Rev. Montgomery C. Curry.
This church was made a member of the Union (now Pickensville) Baptist Association and still was in 1947.
Services were held first in the Courthouse, then November 21, 1846 in the Male Academy; next on the Methodist church to October 1855, when they were in the homes of the members to June 13, 1859 when services were held in the Franklin Academy. On Saturday before the second Sunday in August 1857 the church met in Conference in the new church building which was replaced later by the present building.
The Rev. William R. Stansel came to Pickens County in 1831 from Georgia and was the regular pastor for many years.
In early days, there was strict discipline in the church. Several members were ezpelled for intoxication and other offenses, even an ordained preacher member was expelled for being drunk.
Several slaves were member of this church.
A Sunday School was begun before 1857. Brother W. G. Robertson was a leader in the Sunday School for many years. His wife was the first president of the Women's Missionary Union. About 1898 only two preachers were ordained there - Matthew Lyons and R. M. Humphries. Matthew Lyon was first a printer, then editor of the "Register", next a lawyer and Registrar in Chancery, afterwards a clergyman and later a teacher.
Grandchildren of Edward Lee: Carson, Ada Lucy, Lofton and Emmett Lee, Mrs. Alma Carson, Mrs. Monroe Dowden, Mrs. Bessie Smith were members.
Hon. J. J. Willcutt of Anniston, Alabama, Mrs. Bessie Elmore of Demoplis, Mrs. Bessie Mae Barder and Mrs. Julia Hill Clark were members and dexcendants of F. w. Bostick.
Edgar L Smith, born December 19, 1868 and who died in Carrollton May 4, 1935 was very liberal (sic) to the church and will (sic) a large sum to this church and to Baptist work.
James F. Hidge, born September 30, 1866, died September 8, 1927 was Circuit Clerk of the county and of the Baptist Association for several years. His daughter, Mamie was pianist of this church.
Milton Benjamin Curry was baptized in the Anon Church (now Aliceville) in 1880, made member of the Carrollton Church in 1886, was for 35 years Moderator of the Pickens Baptist Association. Rev. John H. Curry, born January 7, 1845 in Pickens County, died at Northport, Alabama, Sepatember 9, 1901. He was ordained by the Big Creek Baptis Church in 1868, preached at Obion County, Tennessee in Pickens and Tuscaloosa County. Was 1st. Ferg. in C.S.A.
W. G. Robertson was born i Tuscaloosa, Alabama September 25, 1839, died in Carrollton, Alabama March 13, 1932. He married Sarah A. Gardner. He was 2nd. Lieut. in Company E 18th Alabama Infantry Regiment, C. S. A. and was captured at Missionary Ridge and was a prisoner of Was, to end of that war. He moved to Carrolton in 1886 and was a deacon in this Baptist Church from 1872 until he died. Only one child, Mrs. Eliza Nettles survived him.
Miss Addie Cox was born in Pickens County 1895, joined the Baptist church in Carrollton in 1889. In 1918 she applied to the Southern Baptist Convention as a missionary and was in China 1918-1925. And from 1926-1934, she worked until the outbreak of the Communist and in 1927 had to leave the interior of China with ten other missionaries. 1935-1944, War, flood, famine and bombings, etc. but she continued her work until she was compelled to leave. Her trip home took seven months. Addie Cox was named "The Heroine of the Faith."
You're the [an error occurred while processing this directive]person to visit this page since 11 April 2001.