COLBERT COUNTY, ALABAMA
CEMETERIES - TOWNSHIP 4, RANGE 14
Contributed Jan 2005
by David & Martha Montgomery
This survey was completed on January 14, 2006. Enumerated by David & Martha
Montgomery. There are approximately 1,710 known graves here.
GPS Location 34° 44˘ 10˛ N, 87° 52˘ 58˛ W
[Photo by David Montgomery]
The Barton Cemetery,
established in 1846 by Robert Leander Garner, is located on the Old Lee Highway
in Barton, Alabama. It is located around the Old Calvary Baptist Church between
the old highway and the newer Highway 72 W. Travel west about 12.6 miles from
Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Turn right onto J. B. Minor Road and at .2 miles one
will be in front of the above ground vault. The older section lies in the middle
area among the large cedar trees. This enumeration was started in the northwest
corner of the cemetery beside Old Hwy. 72. The sections are recorded as Section
1, 2, 3, & 4 proceeding eastward. Sections 1 & 2 are “L” shaped. Section 3,
being the oldest section has many graves out of alignment making it difficult to
According to Mr. Lewis Gibbs, a citizen with vast knowledge of the history of the area, there was a saw mill and planer mill where the newer section lies behind the church. The cemetery originally contained one acre. In 1928, it was expanded with property purchased from Mr. C. E. Chambers. The third expansion took place in the year 1936 when land was donated by Mr. J. G. Blankenship. The last expansion was in 1946 when trustees of the Old Calvary Baptist Church bought two acres of land from Mr. Hubert Daily.
The historical marker at the cemetery reads:
Civil War Skirmishes at the Barton Cemetery
Bullet-marked tombstones in this cemetery show evidence of a brisk skirmish here
October 26, 1863, when General P. J. Osterhaus’s First Division of Sherman’s
Corps came under fire from General S. D. Lee’s Confederate Troops. CSA artillery
on a hill near a frame church (Zion No. 1) opened fire at dawn and Union
Artillery replied from the cemetery. CSA forces retreated to Little Bear Creek.
USA forces briefly occupied Tuscumbia, then retreated to Cherokee and abandoned
attempt to advance along the railroad.
December 12, 1862 Col. T.W. Sweeny, USA vs Col. P.D. Roddey, CSA
April 17, 1863 Gen. G.M. Dodge, USA, vs Col. P.D. Roddey, CSA
October 20, 1863 Gen. P.J. Osterhaus, USA vs Col. Jeff Forrest, CSA
October 26, 1863 Gen. P.J. Osterhaus, USA vs Gen. S.D. Lee, CSA
In 1862-63 Confederate forces fought several sharp skirmishes near Barton as they sought to repel or delay Union expeditions invading the Tennessee Valley from the federal stronghold at Corinth, Mississippi.
The very large above ground vault commands attention when visiting the cemetery. Just north beside the vault are four pyramid shaped markers. Mr. Lewis Gibbs stated he believes that Argue L. Garner and his wife, Sarah M. (Burton) Garner are buried here. The vault was restored by the Barton Cemetery Board in the year 2004. The engraving in the stones reads:
In memory of Robert Craig Garner. Born: October 5, 1796
Departed this life in
Franklin County, Alabama June 19, 1846. Age 49 years, 8 months and 12 days. Born
in South Caroline, Pendleton District, October 5, 1796.
Robert Craig Garner was the son of Sturdy Garner and Sarah his wife. Sturdy Garner was born in Orange County, North Carolina May 9, 1762 and departed this life March 4, 1845, Sarah Garner was born July 22, 1770 and departed this life October 11, 1846
A very nice fence has been added to the Barton Cemetery.
[Photos by David Montgomery}
Go to Barton Cemetery, page 2
Return to Cemetery List
Go to Barton Cemetery Pictures