SANKOFA'S SLAVERY DATA COLLECTION
Ash Lawn-Highland Plantation
Location: Albemarle Co., VA
History: Originally Ash Lawn-Highland plantation was part of a larger estate called "Blenheim" owned by Champe Carter and his wife Maria. A 1793 deed shows that James Monroe had purchased a parcel of land from the Carters. The land was called Highland by James Monroe. Under his direction, the farm expanded from 1,000 to 3,500 acres. The Monroe family settled at Highland Plantation in 1799.
Around 1800, the success of the Haiti Revolution led by Toussaint LOuverture inspired Virgina slaves to organize a large revolt ("Gabriel's Rebellion") which involved an estimated 20,000 - 50,000 slaves from adjacent counties in Virginia. Early in his term as Governor of Virginia (ca. 1800), James Monroe had learned of the planned insurrection and lead a repression against the slaves that had organized under the leadership of Gabriel, a blacksmith.
James Monore was nominated for presidency in 1816. Highland Plantation was
re-named Ash Lawn in the 1840's, after the Monroe family had lost ownership
of the land. The property was eventually bequeathed to the College of William
Associated surnames: Buckner, Garrett, Goodwin, Johns, Massey, Monroe
Associated Free White Names
Associated Black Slave Names
Description of Associated Architecture
Other People Researching This Plantation