SANKOFA'S SLAVERY DATA COLLECTION
Location: Bladen Co., NC
History: Oakland Plantation was built in 1781 with the finest bricks from England carried abroad the Atlantic Ocean to Carver's Creek, North Carolina via the Cape Fear River. It was first owned by General Thomas Brown, son of George and Lucy Bright Brown. General Brown owned several plantations with Oakland being the most grand. He also owned: Sedgefield on the Sound, Drunken Run, and Walker's Bluff Plantations. The land was purchased from Colonel Samuel Ashe.
Several disputes arose over ownership of this land which at that time involved Brighton Plantation. A deed was drawn up to "quiet the lands". General Thomas Brown became owner of the lands and erected Ashwood which is now Oakland in 1781.
Associated Surnames: Brown
Associtated Plantations: Brighton Plantation, Drunken Run, Sedgefeild on the Sound (New Hanover Co., NC), Walker's Bluff
Associated Free White Names
Associated Black Slave Names
Description of Associated Architecture
Other People Researching This Plantation