Alberta GenWeb Digital Archives

Alberta GenWeb Digital Archives
NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Alberta Digital archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the Alberta Digital Archives to store the file permanently for free access.

A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF PONOKA NO.3 - Excerpts taken from the "Story of Rural 
Municipal Government in Alberta 1909 to1983" by the Association of the Municipal 
Districts and Counties

Contributed for use in Alberta Digital Archives by Darlene Homme


The present boundaries of the County of Ponoka #3 were originally made up of 
several smaller municipal bodies. Available records indicate the following:

In the eastern end of the county, the Local Improvement District #428 held a 
meeting on January 23, 1915 at which the first councillors elected were RR. 
Stewart, J.B. Wilcox, F.J. Bullock and Ed G. Boddy.

Two names were submitted for secretary-treasurer, Charles A. Johnson and J.E. 
Jeffries. In a lot selection, Johnson became secretary-treasurer at $150.00 per 

The same council carried on through 191 6 with Johnson as secretary-treasurer. 
Johnson remained secretary-treasurer until 1925.

In 1917, the Local Improvement District #428 became the Municipal District of 
Water Glen #428. Councillors for that year were RR. Stewart, R. Donaldson, H. 
Boman, and F.F. Bullock.

In 1918, a new council of RR. Stewart, H. Boman, and F.J. Bullock was elected.

In 1919, council members were: Martin Hagglund, Henry Boman (2 year terms) Elias 
Jenkins and B.R. Headley (1 year terms), (Section 49, Page 10, M.D. Act).

A vote on a herd law by-law was also held and was passed, but was lost on a 
technicality in wording of the by-law.

A.G. Lindbloom was the returning officer. Labour wage rates for the year were 
set at 371/2 cents per hour and 621/2 cents per hour for man and team 

1920 saw a change of F.S. James replacing B.R. Headley.

1921 saw Martin Hagglund replaced by Otto W Nelson.

In 1922, council remained the same.

1923 saw B.R. Headley replacing F.S. James for the only change.

In 1924 the council remained the same.

1925; no change in council, but Proctor Paulsen became the secretary-treasurer.

1926 and Roy Void replacing B.R. Headley

The council in 1927 was O.W Nelson, R.E. Williams, Roy Void and H.J. Boman.

1928 saw no change in council except for T.L. Jenkins replacing R.E. Williams.

1929; O.W Nelson was replaced by Gustav Riske. From 1930 to 1942 there were no 
changes in council, except in 1934 when R.E. Williams replaced R.L. Jenkins.

1943, George Sharp, R.E. Williams, Roy Void, and H.J. Boman were elected 

1944; Amalgamation of Water Glen #428 and Fertile Valley #429 to become the 
Municipal District of Ponoka #66.

1944 saw a new council elected as follows: Roy Void, Andrew Liddle, Paul Baker, 
Marcus Crandall, and Jerome Donnelly. Peter McDonald become secretary-treasurer.

1945 to 1948 the council remained the same except H.J. Boman replacing R. Void 
in 1946

In 1949, council consisted of H.J. Boman, lvor E. Davies, Paul Baker, Marcus 
Crandall, and Jerome Donnelly.

In addition to the above, Peter Fraser and Henry Nagel joined council in 1950.

In the central part of the county was Local Improvement District #429. The first 
councillors, in 1915, were Ed Hinkley, C.O. Cunningham, Marcus Crandall, Anton 
Lux, L.V. Bailey and James Grierson.

In 1916, the slate remained the same except for Grierson who was replaced by J.W 
Kinley. The secretary-treasurer's name was not recorded.

In 1917, the council remained the same except for Ed. Hinkley being replaced by 
William Gee.

In 1918, the name was changed to the Municipal District of Fertile Valley #429. 
Council, atthat time, consisted of Ed Hinkley, A. Lux, N.B. Curl, L.V. Bailey, 
M. Crandall, and E. Williams. T.W Hutchinson was hired as the secretary-
treasurer at $450.00 per annum. Land assessment rate was set at 71/2~ per acre. 
Labour rate was set at 35c~ per hour and 121/2~ per horse.

In 1919,the councillorswerethe same exceptfor Wm. Hoar replacing L.V. Bailey.

In 1920, the following councillors were elected: Anton Lux, Ed. Williams, W.J. 
Hoar, Wm. Gee, B. Curl, and M.J. Crandall.

In 1921, the council remained the same with Dan Bush being hired as secretary-

1922 and 1923 saw no change in council.

In 1924, the elected council was E.J. Williams, A. Lux, WJ. Hoar, RO. Iverson, 
B. Auten, and M. Crandall.

1925 saw Anton Lux replaced byC.W Merrill and Mr.A.B. Baadsgaard hired as the 

In 1927, Peter McDonald took over as secretary-treasurer and the slate 
Of councillors were: H. Zimmerman, E.J. Williams, WJ. Hoar, Wm. Gee, M.B. 
Auten, and Phillip Palechek.

1928 had one change with W.J. Hoar being replaced by L.V. Bailey.

1929 saw H. Zimmerman replaced by Howard Russell.

1930 saw L.V. Bailey replaced by R. Tilgen and Wm. Gee replaced by W.H. Stretch.

1931 saw H. Russell replaced by H. Zimmerman and WJ. Williams replaced by Frank 

1932 saw no changes to council.

1933 saw the following council elected: H. Zimmerman, F. Kroll, R. Tilgen, WH. 
Stretch, M.B. Auten, and John Leidenius.

1934 saw no change.

1935 saw F. Kroll replaced by Arthur Sweet.

In 1936, the following council was elected: H. Zimmerman, A. Sweet, E.W. Hemeyer 
W.H. Stretch, A.W Mattern and J. Leidenius.

1937 saw E. Hemeyer replaced by Emil Tilgen.

1938 saw A. Sweet replaced by W.H. Sheppard and J. Leidenius replaced by M. 

1939 saw no changes to the council.

In 1940, council was as follows: James Paterson, W.H. Sheppard, E.W Tilgen, W.H. 
Stretch, A.W Mattern and M. Crandall.

1941 -42 there were no changes to council.

1943 saw A.C. Bowie replacing J. Paterson.

1944 saw the name change to the Municipal District of Ponoka No. 66 with the 
Council as per the preceding.

Moving further west was the Local Improvement District #430. A meeting held at 
the home of Clyde Eley on January 23, 1918 shows the following elected 
councillors: John Eadie, Henry Watts, James Jeffrison, Paul Edinger, Charles 
Bishop, and James E. Dye. M.C. Platt was hired as the secretary-treasurer at 
$300.00 per annum. At that time, 4,300 boardfeet of bridge plank was purchased 
at $6.00 per M.

In 1919,the name was changed to the Municipal District of the Blindman #430. 
Councillors for that year were: J. Eadie, Fred Pickette, Tapley Bunch, George 
Betts, Charles Bishop, and John Alexander. Platt's salary was set at $500.00 per 
annum in 1919.

In 1920, the same council stood except for Fred Pickette being replaced by H.W. 
Hunting. Bishop's division was left vacant. Councillor Alexander was appointed 
reeve. Secretary-Treasurer Platt's salary was set at $600.00 per annum.

In 1921, C. Bishop returned to council and Alvin J. Hewitt replaced J.E. Dye. 
Joseph Renshaw was appointed secretary-treasurer in 1921.

The Municipal District of the Blindman #430 petitioned the Minister of Health 
for the establishment of a hospital district.

In 1922, the Council was as follows: J. Alexander, Henry Watts, D.W Ford, A.J. 
Hewitt, Josephy Hodsden and J.C. Lee.

1923 saw J. Alexander replaced by J.E. Dye.

In 1924, council was as follows: D.W Ford, D.A. Whitesell, A.J. Hewitt, Wm. 
Hann, J.C. Lee, and J.E. Dye.

1925-26 saw no change in council.

1927 saw D.W Ford replaced by W Archibald.

In 1928 Council remained the same.

1929 saw J.C. Lee replaced by E.E. McDowell and WA. Saunders replaced Platt as 

1930 saw Wm. Hann replaced by G.S. Twiss.

The council in 1931 was as follows: Wesley Wiles, WF. Jersey, J. Donnelly, 
George S. Twiss, E.E. McDowell, and J.E. Dye.

1932 saw G. Twiss replaced by Wm. Hann and E.E. McDowell replaced by R.W Burns.

There was no change in council in 1933.

Council in 1934 was as follows: W Wiles, WF. Jersey, J. Donnelly, Alex McKenzie, 
Richard Stewart, and J. Dye.

1935 saw no change.

1936 saw A. McKenzie replaced by George Henderson and Richard Stewart was 
replaced by Carl Lee.

1937 saw no change.

Council in 1938 was W Wiles, WF. Jersey, J. Donnelly, George Henderson, Carl Lee 
and J. Roy Burns.

1939 saw WF. Jersey replaced by L.A. Gurnell.

1940-43 saw no other changes to council.
1944 saw the amalgamation with Last West #431 to become Last West #67 with a 
council consisting of D.J. Myers, P. Fraser, J.A. Givin, Charles Campbell, D. 
Vanse, and V. Dersch.

Further to the west in Range Four was the Local Improvement District #431. A 
meeting held at Potter Creek School on February 8, 1913 shows the following 
councillors: Wm. Connors, J.H. Lawyer, John Dixon, Leo Benson, John Hull and H. 
Nicholson. M.C. Platt was chosen as secretary-treasurer for the year at a salary 
of $100.00.

In January of 1914, the following councillors were elected: S.W Eastburn, H.B. 
Belt, John Bargen, Ed. Capling, John Hull and Hugo Liska. Platt's salary was set 
at $200.00. The rate of land tax was set at 71/2 cents per acre.

In 1915, the following councillors were elected: S.W Eastburn, H.B. Belt, Ed 
Capling, Wm. Hicks, H.F. Liska, and John Bargen.

In January of 1916, the following councillors were shown: S.W. Eastburne, H.J. 
Belt, E. Capling, M. Donovan, H.F. Liska, and J.J. Bell. Platt remained on as 
secretary-treasurer at $200.00 per year.

Ratepayers were permitted to work off their taxes with the L.I.D., but not to
exceed $10.00; the balance was to be paid in cash.

The same council remained in 1917, except for L.H. Chabotte replacing H.J. Belt.

In 1918, the council had only one change; that being Wm. Sayles replacing E. 
Capling. H.F. Liska was appointed secretary-treasurer at a salary of $200.00 per 

In 1919, council was changed only by Wm. Becker replacing S.W Eastburne.

In 1920, council consisted of Joe Lamb, L.H. Chabotte, J.J. Bell, Wm. Sayles, 
John Haggarth and Ed Steam.

In 1921 there was no changes to council except John Barwick replacing Joe Lamb.

In 1922, council consisted of Wm. Becker, J.A. Barwick, J.J. Bell, John Dixon, 
John Haggarth and E. Steam.

1923 saw the same council.

Council remained the same in 1924 with WS. Thompson being hired on as secretary-

1925 saw John Barwick replaced by Fred Rattone.

1926 saw no change in council.

In 1927, council was represented by W.H. Becker, Fred Rattone, Ted Jensen, 
Victor Owen, John Haggarth, and E. Steam.

1928 saw E. Steam replaced by E.O. Peterson.

In 1929, council consisted of WH. Becker, J.J. Bell, A.J. Clayton, Victor Owen, 
John Haggarth and E.O. Peterson.

In 1930, Peterson was replaced by R.E. Hayward and Haggarth was replaced by D. 

1931-32 saw no changes.
1933's council was as follows: R.E. Hayward, Fred Rattone, A.J. Clayton, Victor 
Owen, D. Vance and A. Torgenson.

1934 saw no change in council, but A. Bird took over as secretary-treasurer

1935 saw Clayton replaced by C. Wilson

1936 saw Torgenson replaced by Arthur Craig.

From 1937 to 1939, council remained the same.

in 1940, the council was made up of R.E. Hayward, Peter Fraser, A.E. Fox, Victor 
Owen, D. Vance and A.C. Craig.

in 1941, Hayward was replaced by D.J. Myers.

in 1942, Fox was replaced by Clyde Wilson.

Council in 1943 was as follows: D.J. Myers, R Fraser, J.A. Given, V.Owen, D. 
Vance, and V. Dersch.

1944 saw the amalgamation with Last West #67.

Council in 1945 consisted of D.J. Meyers, R. Fraser, J.A. Given, C. Campbell, J. 
Schweiger, and L.H. Slack. Victor Owen was hired on as the secretary-treasurer.

1946 saw C. Campbell replaced by A.L. Stout and L.H. Slack replaced by J.G. 

There was no change in council from 1947 to 1948.

In 1949, council was as follows: D.J. Myers, R Fraser, T.Jensen, A.R. Stout, 
J.B. Schweiger and J.G. Anderson.

The County of Ponoka No.3 was formed on January 1, 1952. In January and February 
of 1952, the county was operated by Bruce Ramsey, municipal affairs; Peter 
McDonald was secretary-treasurer until July of 1959 and L.G. Saunders was the 
school secretary.

New councillors were sworn in on March 6, 1952 as follows: H.J. Boman, Ivor 
Davies, Paul Baker, M. Crandall, H. Nagel, J. Donnelly, and Peter Fraser.

An election was held in March of 1955; oaths of office were taken April 14, 1955 
with a council as follows: C.C. Reed, I. Davies, M. Crandall, H. Nagel, S. 
Freeman, V. Owen and F. Hunt

Oaths of office were taken April 3, 1957 for the following councillors:

C.C. Reed, I. Davies, F.E. Palechek, E.A. Phalempin, H.M. VanNest, V. Owens, and 
F. Hunt.

May 15, 1959, Harold Skeels came on as councillor replacing E.A. Phalempin who 
was appointed as county weed inspector and fieldman.

L.G. Saunders became the secretary-treasurer of the county from 1959 to 1972.

Oaths of office taken April 3, 1962 showed the following councillors:

C.C. Reed, I. Davies, F.E. Palechek, H. Skeeis, H.M. VanNest, V. Owens and 
Harvey Hillis.

On January 3, 1964, the following council was sworn in: C.C. Reed, I. Davies, 
F.E. Palechek, R.C. Jensen, H.M. VanNest, V. Owens, and H. Hillis.

The same councillors were sworn in in 1965 except for C.C. Reed who was replaced 
by A.C. Boman.

In 1966 there were two changes to council with Gordon Ferguson replacing H.M. 
VanNest and Lloyd Soderberg replacing H. Hillis.

1968 saw only one change with Ed Solberg replacing V. Owens.

1969 saw Mitchell Polushin replace G. Ferguson.

Council in 1971 consisted of A.C. Boman, I. Davies, F.E. Palechek, R.C. Jensen, 
M. Polushin, Floris Looy, and L. Soderberg

Gordon Void became the secretary-treasurer for the County of Ponoka on January 
1, 1973 and remained in that position until June 30, 1982. Early in 1982, the 
position name was changed to county administrator.

Council remained the same in 1974 with only one change; that being Harold 
Stretch replacing I. Davies.

1977 saw almost a complete council elected as follows: Thorkild Bottern, 
Lawrence Grigat, Frank Palechek, Mrs. Ada Ashton, Albert Odenbach, Wray Lucas 
and William Loov.

The most recent election for councillors was held in 1980 with the results as follows: T. Bottern, H. Stretch, F. Palechek, M. Cisseil, M. Polushin, W. Lucas and L. Soderberg. Frank Palechek has served 25 consecutive years on council and is presently the Reeve. Lloyd Brattly took over the position of county administrator in July of 1982.

Contact |  Copyright 1997-2011 ALBERTAGenWeb